Direct Payments

A direct payment is a cash sum paid to you, on behalf of your disabled child, or to your young adult, to buy support and short breaks (respite). In Cambridgeshire, the money is provided by Cambridgeshire County Council

To receive direct payments you will need to have an assessment from Social Care and get agreement that your child meets the eligibility criteria.

Once it has been agreed that you are entitled to direct payments,  you will have a choice in how you spend the money you have been allocated.

These things might include:

  • short breaks
  • attending a nursery with specialist support for you child
  • buying equipment
  • personal care

Cambridgeshire’s Direct Payment service details

Preferred provider, PeoplePlus, has replaced Purple as Cambridgeshire County Council’s support service provider for Direct Payments. You can read more about how it works here.

Getting Personal Assistants (PAs)

Disability Rights UK have some guidance on Being in Control: Getting Personal Assistants (PAs).

With the introduction of the Care Act 2014, there is a legal duty upon local authorities in England to provide or arrange services that promote independence for disabled people. Local authorities are now legally obliged to offer personal budget to anyone eligible for social care funding. You can request some or all of your personal budgets in the form of direct payments. The guide above includes lots of useful information including:

  • Using Direct payments to appoint a Personal Assistants
  • The list of duties your PA can assist you with
  • Managing PA’s – Practical and admin things/employment paperwork
  • Preparing a job description
  • Searching for a PA
  • Providing a contract of employment for your PA